The North Shore is a hotspot for music and entertainment. With a wide array of venues and restaurants hosting an eclectic mix of musicians and performers, you can have a great time listening to live music just about every day of the week. Here are some of our favorite venues and some of the music they’ll be hosting soon.
The Cabot – 286 Cabot St, Beverly, MA
This historic theatre and music venue opened its doors in December of 1920 as a home for silent films and vaudeville performances. In the 100 years since its beginning, the purpose of the theatre hasn’t changed much. The Cabot still produces great programming for a variety of tastes and interests. This week on the Cabot’s menu includes classical and blues performances alongside an incredibly alternative group of Scottish-inspired musicians.
- Holiday Broadway Cabaret + White Christmas Sing-A-Long – Monday, December 23 @ 6:30 pm
- Dar Williams and Heather Maloney – Friday, December 27 @ 8:00 pm
- Percy Hill – Saturday, December 28 @ 8:00 pm
- Grateful Ball – Sunday, December 29 @ 7:30 pm
Bent Water Brewing Company – 180 Commercial St #18, Lynn
Located right in the heart of the developing Lynn Waterfront District, Bent Water Brewing Co.’s taproom hosts twice-weekly live music. Fridays are acoustic music and Saturdays are an eclectic mix of local and regional music. Listen to live music, drink great beer, and grab food from the food trucks that swing through there at one of Lynn’s best Breweries.
- Acoustic Fridays: Matt Tentindo – Friday, December 27 @ 6:00 pm
Koto – 90 Washington Street, Salem, MA
Located in downtown Salem, MA, Koto is not your average sushi bar. Although it does boast exceptional sushi, great food, and delicious drinks, what Koto really excels at is its underground punk, industrial, and goth music scene. Coming up in the next two weeks are Siren’s Women in Music presented by Darq, acoustic sessions, and some riotous punk.
- Parts Per Million / Grace Drive / Exhale – December 27 @ 9:00 pm
- DARQ: 2-for-1 night w/Vudu:DJ! – December 28 @ 9:00 pm
- Mark Hall Acoustic – December 29 @ 7:00 pm
Opus Underground – 87 Washington St, Salem, MA 01970
Right across the street from Koto in downtown Salem is the popular music venue Opus Underground. Upstairs you dine in style, but downstairs at Opus it’s a different flavor every night. You can catch Open Mics on Wednesdays, Reggae on Thursdays, and Rock, Punk, and Alternative through the weekend.
- Grateful Thursday – Thursday, December 26 @ 9:00 pm
- Brown Christmas – Friday, December 27 @ 9:00 pm
- Alchemystics – Saturday, December 28 @ 9:00 pm
Gulu Gulu Cafe – 247 Essex St, Salem, MA
A great place for beer and dog lovers alike, Gulu Gulu Cafe has long been known for its great music. Established in 2007, Gulu Gulu is a European-style cafe that boasts great drinks, delicious food, and live music and entertainment almost every day of the week. At Gulu Gulu, you’ll find Vinyl nights, singer-songwriters, jazz, and lots more. It just depends on the week.
- Gulu Gulu Open Mic Shindig – Thursday, December 26 @ 8:00 pm
- DJ Fuzz – Friday, December 27 @ 9:00 pm
- Willie T. and Doctor X – Saturday, December 28 @ 9:00 pm
Beauport Hotel – 55 Commercial St, Gloucester, MA
The beautiful Beauport Hotel is nestled along some of the most extraordinary North Shore coastline. In addition to the hotel’s 94 rooms, a restaurant, and a rooftop pool, it also plays host to some excellent music. Its ongoing 1606 music series on Wednesday and Thursday evenings brings in performers from all over New England.
- 1606 Live Music Series: Mari Martin – Thursday, December 26 @ 6:00 pm
Hawthorne Hotel – 18 Washington Square W, Salem:
Salem’s Historic Hawthorne Hotel draws tourists from all over the world to stay in its rooms. But what most people don’t know is the hotel’s Nat’s Tavern is a music venue too. On Friday and Saturday nights, performers play for diners from 6:00 – 9:00 pm.
- 37th Annual Caroling with Julie Dougherty – December 24 @ 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- The Duo “My Other Side” – December 26 @ 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Steve Belgiorno – December 27 @ 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Caroline Portu – December 28 @ 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
15 Walnut – 18 Washington Square W, Salem:
This cozy South Hamilton tavern is a great spot for seafood and great drinks. The atmosphere feels like you’re sitting in your own living room, except the food is better and so is the music. The tavern hosts live acoustic Thursdays at 7:00 pm.
- Pete Schibli – Thursday, December 26 @ 7:00 pm
Why Support Creative North Shore? Help us Prevent a Paywall!
Creative North Shore is a FREE program. We are dedicated to keeping you up to date on the latest arts and culture events, cultural news and creative happenings on the North Shore, and we need your help to not create a paywall for content. Thank you for reading, and if you’d like to support our efforts directly, considering joining the Collective Club (and win free stuff!), sign up for a recurring contribution in any amount, or If you would like to see your events and Information show up here please consider becoming an individual or corporate business member.