The pandemic has created unique challenges for the arts in both how work is created and how work is shared with those who appreciate the arts.
Artists are inherently problem solvers, and so our students and faculty have continued their work, just differently.
Online exhibitions, rehearsing outside, rehearsing on zoom, green screens, video cameras, covering the bells of instruments, recording in isolation, curbside pick-up of costumes, music, art supplies, video editing, masks, sanitizer and distance are part of the dally fabric of the work done by SSU students.
Here is a snapshot of what happened from September to December as Salem State University’s Center for the Arts found new ways to collaborate and share:
- A virtual arts speakers series with diverse leaders in the field across creative disciplines
- Our second Veterans 10 Minute Play Festival of original work
- Two dance concerts – one outside and one presented as a live stream from the stage of the Gordon Center as well as a dance film festival
- Multiple small music ensemble performances
- Genre specific craft panels with noted writers
- The annual art and design faculty showcase online
- Our production of The Long Christmas Ride Home selected for the Kennedy Center Region 1 Virtual Festival as one of 10 shows to receive that honor.
- And we co-hosted a Digital Art Drive-in with Creative Collective and Emerson Contemporary!
In short, we continue to provide our student artists opportunities to develop their craft in person and virtually with the same passion and quality that have always been the hallmark of Salem State Arts.
Donate here to help the Center for Creative and Performing Arts continue their mission.
Creative North Shore is powered by Creative Collective. Creative Collective fosters growth, sustainability and scalability for small businesses, creative thinkers, organizations, entrepreneurs and innovators. We service the game changers, community leaders, municipalities and everyone that understands the importance of the creative workforce.
To find out more or to see what it means to be a member of Creative Collective —> https://www.creativecollectivema.com/join